Are you in a store right now?
Find out which product is best suited to your needs.
Browse our products
Apple Harvest Cake Recipe
Respects a lacto-ovo-vegetarian diet
1 hour 30 minutes
- 250 mL (1 cup) Butter Pecan Ensure® Regular
- 300 mL (1 ¼ cups) Granny Smith apples, peeled and diced plus one extra apple, sliced thin (for top of cake)
- 5 mL (1 tsp) plus 1 mL (¼ tsp) apple pie spice, divided
- 250 mL (1 cup) plus 15 mL (1 Tbsp) sugar, divided
- 500 mL (2 cups) cake flour
- 125 mL (½ cup) whole-wheat flour
- 1 mL (¼ tsp) salt
- 5 mL (1 tsp) baking soda
- 5 mL (1 tsp) baking powder
- 80 mL (⅓ cup) vegetable oil
- 80 mL (⅓ cup) egg substitute or 2 large eggs
- 5 mL (1 tsp) pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Lightly mist a 20-cm (8-inch) baking pan with non-stick vegetable oil spray.
- Place diced apples in a microwave-safe container and microwave for
2 minutes. Cool.
- In a small mixing bowl, make a spice-sugar blend by combining 1 mL
(¼ tsp) apple pie spice and 15 mL (1 Tbsp) sugar. Set aside for topping.
- In another small mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients (flours, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and 1 mL [¼ tsp] apple pie spice). Set aside for batter.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together oil and 1 cup sugar for 1 minute.
- Add egg substitute and vanilla and continue to whisk for 1 minute.
- Add ⅓ of dry ingredient bowl and mix. Mix in ⅓ cup Ensure® Regular. Repeat twice, adding ⅓ of dry ingredients and ⅓ cup Ensure® Regular each time.
- Scrape the inside surface of the large mixing bowl and fold in diced apples.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Arrange sliced apples on top of cake batter and sprinkle top with spice-sugar blend.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the apple cake comes out clean.
- Transfer to a wire rack and cool.
- Slice and serve.
Serving size: 1 slice
- 8 g
- 220 mg
- 46 g
- Dietary fibre
- 1 g
- 4 g
Sign up & save
Sign up to the Ensure® Club and get up to $100 in coupons, meal plans, recipes, and tips on using Ensure®!