These are possible side effects of cancer treatment, sapping your energy, morale, and appetite. They can also be the side effects of some medications. Although you should never force yourself to eat when you’re feeling nauseous, it’s important to eat regularly and maintain good nutrition to help prevent it.
Here are some ways to limit nausea, vomiting, and lack of appetite:
- Eat small, frequent meals during the day.
- Nibble on foods for nausea, such as dry crackers or cereals.
- Carry snacks with you when you leave your house, so that you have something to eat when you feel hungry.
- Sip water or beverages throughout the day.
- Add evaporated milk, table cream, or Ensure® to your soups to get the most out of every small meal.
- Add nuts to your smoothies.
- Add cheese to your scrambled eggs.
- Sprinkle sugar in your cereals.
- Use Ensure® in your recipes to increase their nutritional value. For example, adding Ensure® to your pancake mix will provide extra vitamins, minerals, and much-needed protein.
Antinausea medications can also help manage side effects, so you can ask your doctor for one in advance.